Lower River Wye (High Wycombe fire station to the Thames) Projects
River Wye Cores End © M. Forshaw
A number of weirs still exist on the River Wye that impede the free passage of fish along the course of the river to a greater or lesser extent. The ultimate objective is that they all will be removed or modified such that fish have uninhibited movement the length of the water course.
- Beech Road Ford. As the ford is no longer in use look to its removal altogether or remove a section of the weir to improve fish passage.
- 17, 18 & 19. Wycombe Retail Park. Fish pass needs assessing for its effectiveness and debris collector removed. Remove or modify upstream weir.
- Bassetsbury Mill. Possible modification of side weir and channel to improve fish passage.
- Pann Mill. Investigate methods to improve fish passage past the mill.
Other ongoing project locations
- Funges Meadow. Installation of 2 berms and 3 riffle areas through the introduction of 16 tonnes of gravel into the river bed. In addition, funding from the River & Wetlands Community Days fund contributed to planting up of the banks and berms, removal of litter, and installation of bat and bird boxes.